Home   ▸   Inclusion   ▸   SEND   ▸   Glossary


Augmentative and alternative communication

Methods of communication that can help people who are unable to use verbal speech to communicate – often using technology.

British Sign Language – BSL

A visual means of communicating using gestures, facial expression, and body language. Sign Language is used mainly by people who are Deaf or have hearing impairments. The most common form of Sign Language is BSL

Child and Adolescent Health Service – CAMHS

Supporting the emotional and personal development of students

Cognition and Learning

Characterised by difficulties in thinking, attention and concentration skills – dyslexia, learning difficulties etc.

Communication and Interaction

Characterised by difficulties in being able to understand and/or express yourself. Can also be difficulties in interacting with other people – Autism, speech and language difficulties etc.

Adaptive Teaching

Adapted and changed for children based on differing levels of need and ability

Disclosure and Barring Service Check (DBS)

The government check all people working with children must complete

Educational Psychologists

A professional who supports, monitors and thinks with the school, assesses and identifies children’s needs.

Education Health and Care Plan

The document that replaced a Statement of SEN

Eight National Teaching Standards

The standards which teachers are expected to meet.

Eligibility criteria

The individual criteria a service states must be met before they can work with an individual/family.

English as an additional language (EAL)

Someone whose first language at home is not English.

Early Years and Foundation Stage – EYFS

Nursery and Reception classes

Financial Year

A year as reckoned for taxing or accounting purposes, which runs from from April to April.

Governing Body

Each school has a governing body which comprises members of the local community, parents, teachers, staff and representatives of the Local Education Authority. They are required by law to meet at least once a term but can meet more frequently in order to discuss specific matters.

Health visitor/school nurse

Health Professional who monitors, supports and gives advice to families and schools on all aspects of children’s well-being and health needs.

Hearing Impaired service

Camden service of specialists who give advice, support and monitor children with HI.

Key stage 1 – KS1

Years 1 and 2

Key Stage 2 – KS2

Years 3 to Year 6

Key Worker

The person assigned to be the day to day contact point for a child with an Education Health Care Plan. They are tasked with the day to day delivery of support for the child and to ensure needs are being met.

Local Offer

Local authorities are required to set out in their Local Offer information about provision they expect to be available across education, health and social care for children and young people in their area who have SEN or are disabled, including those who do not have Education, Health and Care (EHC) plans. Local authorities must consult locally on what provision the Local Offer should contain.


This is a statutory service commissioned by local authorities which is designed to help settle disagreements between parents or young people and local authorities over EHC needs assessments and plans and which parents and young people can use before deciding whether to appeal to the First-Tier Tribunal about decisions on assessment or the special educational element of a plan. Mediation can cover any one or all three elements of an EHC plan and must be offered to the parent or young person when the final plan is issued, but they are not able to appeal to the Tribunal about the health and social care aspects of the plan.


Supporting students with complex needs

Occupational Therapists

Professionals from the health service who identify, assess, support, monitor, offer advice to children, schools, families for children with functional, motor or sensory needs.

Playground buddies

Year 5 and 6 children who are given extra responsibility at lunchtimes to support other children in different parts of the playground

Provision Map

A list of provision and support beyond the classroom to remove barriers and accelerate progress and well-being.

Robson House Outreach

Part of Camden Local Authority’s service for children with social, mental and emotional health difficulties, comprising specialist teachers, supported by psychologists, therapists and social workers.


Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator

SEN Register

Special Educational Needs List of children, so the school continually hold them in mind.

SEN Policy

The document that reflects the statutory requirements of special educational needs and how the actual practice of the school meets them.

Sensory Advisory Service

The service who gives advice, assessment and support to children with sensory processing difficulties – covers both hearing and vision impairment

Sensory and/or Physical Needs

Characterised by impairment in some aspect of physical functioning or difficulty in sensory processing compared to ‘normal’ sensory profile – hearing impaired, vision impaired, sensory impairment, cerebral palsy etc.

Social Communication and Assessment Service – SCAS

Helping schools with identification planning for students with ASD

Social, Emotional, and Mental Health Difficulties

Characterised by problems with regulation of emotion, social skills – ADHD etc.

Social Services (CSSW)

Services that support the child and the family accessing the correct services and safeguard children.

Specialist Interventions

Support programmes that requires specific training to deliver and targets a specific area of need

Speech and language therapists

Professionals from the health service who identify, assess, support, monitor, offer advice to children, schools, families for children with communication, social, language needs.

Staff Handbook

Document given to all new staff informing of all the processes and procedures in school and signposting to relevant school policies.

Teaching Assistant

Additional adults who support the learning process, social behaviour and needs of children.

Visually Impaired service

Camden service of specialists who give advice, support and monitor children with VI.

Visual Timetable

A timetable showing the days events/lessons in pictorial or photograph form for children who struggle with sequencing their day and/or have difficulties with communication and/or reading

Related pages

What is the SEND information report?
What kind of school is Torriano?
Communicating the information report
Who to contact for more information
Language Resource Base